With access to the GUHSD Parent Portal, you can look up your student's attendance history online.
You may pick up your user ID and password from the Attendance Office during school hours. In order to protect your students personal information, user IDs and passwords will only be given out with a photo ID to the parent or guardian on file.
Absence / Truancies Policies and Procedures
- If a student has 11 absences (excused or unexcused), he/she will receive no credit in the class where he/she has those absences.
- If a student has 11 all day absences, the student receives NO CREDIT in all classes.
- Truancies (unexcused absences) may not be made up in Saturday or Weekday School.
- STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING THEIR OWN ATTENDANCE. They may pick up a copy of their attendance record in the attendance outside of classroom instruction time.
To clear a full day absence, the student must do one of the following within 3 days (including the absent day) or he/she will be considered truant:
- Have the parent call the 24 hour Attendance Number: 956-0434;
- Bring a note from the parent;
- Fill out a J-31 card - located in the attendance office.
**Due to the high volume of absences, the attendance office is no longer able to make courtesy calls home to remind parents to clear student absences.
Leaving School Early – Partial Day Absence
If your student is leaving campus early for an appointment, they need to bring a note to the attendance office before leaving campus; otherwise it will be considered a period truancy.
Students will only be released to their legal guardian through the attendance office unless permission is given from the guardian in a note or phone call to somone else (i.e. grandparents, sister, brother, neighbor). Please don't confuse this with an emergency release for sick students through the nurse's office; they have a different release policy.
Arriving at School Late –Partial Day Absence
If a student arrives late, he/she must bring a note to the attendence office and get an official pass to class.
There are no excused tardies due to traffic or weather problems. Our teachers are here on time to teach. When students arrive late - often with Starbucks or McDonald's in hand - it is disruptive not only to teaching and learning but to the entire school community. Please continue to make getting out of the house early enough a priority so students are on time to class.
Homework Drop-off and Deliveries
If your student forgets homework projects, PE clothes, lunch money, cell phones, etc., you may drop them off at the attendance office for your student to pick up. We don't interupt class to deliver these items; your student must know to pick them up.
If a student has a minimum of 3 lates, period truancies, or all day truancies, (or any combination of the three), any the following action may be taken:
- Referral to Probation Officer
- SART contract
- ISA – In School Alternative
- Referral to District Attorney’s Office
- Involuntary transfer to Alternative Education or SARB school